Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Emergency

Well, I'm home now after an emergency appendectomy... I've been complaining for 7 months now about my right side hurting.  Last month, I went through a series of tests: CT scan, xrays, blood tests, colonoscopy, and ultrasounds... nothing was found.  I'm convinced now that my appendix had been acting up but when the tests were run, I wasn't having a flair up.  Beginning Saturday, I started having a dull cramping in the middle of my stomach that would come and go, then Monday night, I woke up at midnight with excruciating stomach pain that made me literally sick.  It was hurting all over, but would let up for just a few minutes and I would have a dull pain on my right side and my back was hurting.  I woke Chris up at 3am and told him we needed to go to the doctor.  How were we going to do that with Merrill sound asleep?  We called my mom who got to our house around 4:15.  We went on to Brookwood ER.  After the doctor saw me, she did a quick exam where she mashed on my right side and told us it sounded like appendicitis.   She ordered blood work and another CT scan which confirmed her diagnosis.  She said I needed surgery that day, so around 7, the general surgeon came in and spoke with us about removing my appendix.  So... I was carted off for emergency surgery.  It took about 30 minutes, I was in recovery for about 2 hours, then moved to a room.  I had excellent care and spent the night at Brookwood.  I'm home now and feeling better... just sore, my abdomen is swollen.   I miss Merrill most of all.  Mom is bringing her home around 4.  I can't wait... 

2 comments:

amyandcarltonwatt said...

You poor thing! I am glad you are all better now!

AUsome mom said...

I'm glad you're feeling better Wen. Love you!
Sissie